For Immediate Release
October 8, 2018
Cameron University Athletics
Kenton Means – Sports Information Director
LAWTON, Okla. – The Aggie volleyball team will look to open up the second half of Lone Star Conference season on a high note as they host Texas Women’s for Dig Pink Night on Tuesday.
Texas Woman’s vs. Cameron | Oct. 9 at 6 p.m. | Aggie Gym | Live Stats | Live Video
– For the third time in the last six seasons, Cameron has gone winless through the first half of the LSC season; in 2016 CU only had one win against the rest of league, while in 2013 the Aggies were winless in conference play.
– After their match against Texas A&M-Kingsville last Friday, the Aggies are now 1-6 on the season when going to a fifth set.
– CU senior Brittnee Altic has recorded three aces in the team’s last three matches, giving her 35 on the season, which is tops in the LSC and 17th nationally.
– Shantalle Demirjian, a freshman from Las Vegas, Nev., has found a rhythm of late, recording a career high 12 kills in each of CU’s last two contests.
– The Pioneers of TWU have gone 12-8 to start the season, but are just 1-5 in true road matches with their win away from Denton coming at Angelo State on Sep. 8
– TWU is 20th in total assists in Division II, led by setter Katy Raines who averages 8.99 helpers per set and has 848 on the season.
– Libero Bailey French is tops in the LSC and 12th nationally with 430 total digs, while averaging a league best 5.51 per set.
About the Aggies:
– Cameron is now 2-18 this season after losing their 11th straight contest last Friday against the Javelinas; they are 0-10 in conference matches.
– The Aggies average 10.6 kills and 9.7 assists per set on offense and 15.8 digs and 2.0 blocks per set on defense, while totaling 85 service aces as a team.
– Senior Paige Dixon is one kill shy of hitting 200 for the second straight season, while Brandy Carr, Demirjian, and Ashleigh McFatridge have all passed the century mark in total kills.
– Altic not only leads the LSC with her 35 service aces, but the libero is also third in the league with 389 total digs.
– Katherine Manning has come on strong recently and the sophomore is now averaging 5.25 assists per set, while also recording 18 service aces and 178 total digs in 2018.
– Brandy Carr is one of the top middle blockers in DII, totaling 87 total blocks this season while also recording 1.80 kills per set.
Scouting the Pioneers:
– Texas Woman’s is 12-8 overall this season and 4-6 in conference matches, including going 1-3 in their last four.
– TWU averages 13.1 kills, 12.3 assists, 18.1 digs, and 1.7 blocks per set, while also totaling 97 service aces and hitting on the attack at a .184 clip.
– While Raines leads the team and LSC in assists, the Pioneers have five players with 100 or more kills, including Maggie Pyles and Courtney Noel who each have over 200 kills on attack percentages of over .224.
– Pyles also averages 3.10 digs per set, while Noel is second on the team with 56 total blocks; Trixie Oche has a Texas Woman’s best 58 blocks this season.
– The Black and Gold will be on the road for their next two matches, visiting Eastern New Mexico on Friday, Oct. 12 and West Texas A&M on Saturday, Oct. 13.
Sports Information Director – Cameron University
2800 W. Gore Blvd., South Shepler 512
Lawton, OK 73505
Office – (580) 581-2303
Cell – (580) 583-2210
Fax – (580) 581-5537