Aggies hold off late run, stun No. 6 Midwestern State


For Immediate Release
January 30, 2015
Cameron University Athletics
Krista Pylant – Sports Information Assistant
WICHITA FALLS, TX– The Aggies held off a late 9-0 Mustang run to stun No. 6 Midwestern State 80-75 on the road Saturday night. With the win, Cameron takes sole possession of first place in the Lone Star Conference at 6-2 in the league and 13-7 overall.

The victory is also the Aggies’ first win in Wichita Falls since 2002, which snaps a nine game skid at D.L. Ligon Coliseum.

“Our guys have really taken their game to next level these last few games and to break the streak with this group is really special,” said head coach Nate Gamet. “It has been a long time since we have won here and some of our guys have played here when it’s been really close, so it’s an amazing feeling.”

Deondre Ray led Cameron with a career high 23 points as he went 8-for-10 from the field with two tres in addition to seven boards. Jamaal Brantley (15 pts), JV Long (12 pts), and Cameron Lee (11 pts) were among the other Aggies in double figures. Brantley also pulled down a team high eight boards.

Overall, Cameron shot 55% (27-for-53) from the field, while the Mustangs had 39% (27-for-70) on the floor. MSU drained 12 three-pointers to the Aggies five, and CU went 71% (17-for-24) at the line, and Midwestern State shot 64% (9-for-14) from the charity stripe.

“I thought we did a really good job executing the game plan,” Gamet continued. “The guys had discipline in what they doing, got some big stops, and layups in the second half triggered big shots. When JV scored six straight, that set the tone for the game. They were defending us really well, and we hit big shots in key moments.”

To begin play, Cameron survived back-to-back three-pointers from MSU in the first few minutes with both sides exchanging the lead twice until the Aggies took the 7-6 advantage at the 17:30 marker from a Brantley three-pointer. Cameron would not let off its edge and opened up its largest lead of 12 at the 2:40 marker accompanied by a solid defensive effort with no fouls in the first ten minutes of play.

However, MSU would repeat with the deep ball in the final minute of the first half with another set of three-pointers for seven total to chip the Aggies’ lead down to three, 39-36. The Mustangs would foul Ray at four seconds, and he would drain both free throws to give CU a 41-36 advantage at the break.

MSU opened up the second half with a layup and cashed in a CU turnover for a tre to tie the game at 41-41. Cameron added two buckets, but MSU was ready with another three-pointer and layup by Hershell Grant at the 16:21 marker to give the Mustangs their first lead since 18:09 of the first half.

However, Ray put the Aggies back on track, responding with a three of his own for the Aggies’ 48-46 advantage. Cameron continued to shoot a hot 65% from the field to open up a 12 point gap with three minutes to go. At the 1:44 marker, MSU began a 9-0 run with CU missing two free throw opportunities to come within three points, 78-75 with 12 seconds to go. At 11 seconds, MSU fouled Delvonte Pierre who went to the line making both of his free throws for a five point Aggie lead. MSU went for a layup with Brantley getting the game ending block as time expired for the 80-75 Aggie win.

Midwestern State edged the Aggies in total rebounds by two with 39, but Cameron had 33 defensive boards to the Mustang’s 26. MSU would also have seven blocks to the Aggie’s three. Additionally, Cameron cashed in nine MSU turnovers for 18 points.

Midwestern State (16-3 overall, 5-2 LSC) was led by Bretson McNeal who scored 17 points for the Mustangs.

Cameron will return to action on Wednesday to face Texas A&M-Commerce at 7:30 p.m. on the road.

Comments are closed