The purpose of the Wellness Symposium is to attract a wide array of professionals and citizens that are concerned that the health status of Oklahomans ranks near the bottom of all of the states in the US and want to shape a healthier future and thriving society in SW Oklahoma. Our expert speakers will present innovative and life-changing strategies for development and implementation of emerging opportunities to improve health across multiple sectors and define roles of participating organizations. A variety of sectors including businesses, city/government, non-profit organizations, health care and school districts will be inspired through an assortment of breakout sessions tailored to creating a culture of health.
The 2018 Wellness Symposium goals are to improve the health of SW Oklahoma by:
- Exploring the science and implementation of worksite wellness;
- Identifying gaps that impact our health in built environments, health literacy, food deserts, mental health & substance abuse, and social determinates for our aging population;
- Prompting promising and best-practice interventions for significant impact on population health;
- Supporting and developing sustainable partnerships across government and private sectors.
Key Speakers include:
Terry White is the commissioner for the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. She is a passionate advocate for individuals experiencing mental illness and addiction.
Derek Sparks serves as Government Relations Manager at the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce. Derek fights for pro-business public policy and incorporating healthy principles for communities to build on.
Ed Long is the founder of Cross Sector Innovations and is an expert on strategic planning, program development, public and private partnerships, and public policy.
Cathy Costello is a successful entrepreneur, mother, and business leader. Her greatest challenge was facing her oldest son’s severe mental illness. The schizophrenia that plagued her son ultimately led to the tragic death of her husband. Cathy is a national speaker educating our society about mental health issues and strives to establish legislative reforms that impact mental health and our work force.
- New Oklahoma Alcohol Laws
- Better Block Project
- Health Literacy
- Mental Health in the Workforce
- The Future of the Oklahoma Aging Population
- The Chamber of Commerce role in Healthy Living
- Partnerships with Government and Non-Profits
- Creating a Healthy School
- Creating Parks that Promote and Engage a Healthy Living Lifestyle
- Certified Healthy Oklahoma
For more information contact Tara Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org or Victoria Cleveland email@example.com or call Jackson County Health Department 580.482.7308.
Date and Time
Thu, June 21, 2018
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM CDT
221 East Commerce Street Altus, OK 73521